St. Peter Lutheran Church was established February 11, 1849, by Rev. Fredrick Wyneken, who is described as a "mission-minded pastor from Fort Wayne". He found a number of German immigrants in Huntington, and gathered a small group of people to form the congregation. Eventually 14 families were considered charter members.
The first church was a 24x36 building built in 1850. The original building was used for services on Sunday and as a school during the week. The building is still standing at 626 Polk Street and is currently a modernized home.
The cornerstone of the present building was set in 1870 and was dedicated in 1885. Additions were added in 1870 and 1914, with the current school building being added in 1963.